Guinea Pig Heat Pads
Guinea Pig Heat Pads for the winter might not be as silly as it sounds for tiny animals like guinea pigs as they may get cold easily and quickly. Unfortunately, keeping them warm can often be a challenge.
If you are looking for ways to keep your guinea pig warm, consider using a heating pad. However, only some types of heating pads are safe for these tiny animals. This guide will discuss how to keep guinea pigs warm and whether heating pads are safe for them.
Are Heating Pads for Guinea Pigs Safe?
Guinea pigs feel cold quite quickly, which is why you might consider getting a heating pad. However, these animals also feel warm quickly. They basically feel both temperatures at a high level, so you must be careful when providing them with warmth.
Heating pads for guinea pigs are certainly an option if you want to provide warmth to them. Most of the time, they are entirely safe. However, this depends on the type of heating pad you get. Here are some of the different types of heating pads and whether they are safe or not for your guinea pig:
Microwavable Heat Pads
These are quite safe to use for your guinea pig. However, you should only use these pads from reliable companies. The best way to use microwavable heating pads to warm up your guinea pigs is by keeping the heating pad in their cages.
This should be used when the temperature and climate are too cold. However, if the temperature is above 16 degrees Celsius, you should be careful about using these Guinea Pig Heat Pads, as they can get too warm for the guinea pigs.
In such a case, you should consider other warming alternatives. The microwavable heat pad should only be used when it is below 16 degrees Celsius.
Here are the pros of using microwavable heating pads for guinea pigs:
- A quick, easy and convenient way to provide them with warmth
- No wires or electric sockets to worry about
- Less expensive than electric heating pads
Moreover, take a look at these cons of using microwavable heating pads for guinea pigs:
- You might have to frequently reheat them as they don’t stay at high temperatures for too long
- You cannot control or customize the level of heat
- If you don’t cover them with a towel, fleece, or cloth, then it can cause burns
- If you have multiple guinea pigs, the temperature of the heating pad will fall more quickly
Electric Heat Pads
The latest and most popular types of Guinea Pig Heat Pads these days are electric heat pads. However, they are only sometimes the safest option for warming guinea pigs. These tiny creatures have the tendency to chew on materials, especially electric wires.
Electric heat pads are also attached to an electric wire. Hence, there is a chance that the guinea pigs might nibble and chew on the wire, which is why electric Guinea Pig Heat Pads can be dangerous for them.
There are some electric Guinea Pig Heat Pads that come with chew-proof wires, so you can consider getting those. These are often designed specifically for small animals like guinea pigs.
However, this still does not make them extremely safe. Hence, you should get a microwavable heating pad instead of the electric one.
If you are considering getting an electric heat pad, such as the one from Petnap, you should know about the following pros of using such devices:
- They are typically larger, so they can keep multiple guinea pigs warm simultaneously
- Some Guinea Pig Heat Pads, such as the Petnap ones, come with a blanket to keep your guinea pigs warm and comfortable
- You can shut these pads off at any time, which makes them safer to use
- Some electric heating pads have chords that are chew-resistant, especially the ones designed for animals
- There is less risk of overheating
There are also some drawbacks of using electric heating pads that you must consider. They include the following:
- It can be costly if you use it frequently and for the whole night
- These pads are also more expensive than microwavable pads
- The chewing chord might be dangerous for guinea pigs
- Using these pads means your pets are closer to an electric socket, which can be dangerous
Using Guinea Pig Heat Pads
Guinea pigs originate from colder climates, so they likely don’t feel that cold unless it’s freezing. They don’t need much insulation. An excellent way to determine whether to use heating pads for your guinea pigs or not is by checking the temperature.
Moreover, if you feel comfortable in the cold in the house, then chances are that your guinea pigs do too. However, if not, consider using heating pads. They are an excellent way to keep your guinea pig warm.
Heating pads should only be used for guinea pigs during extremely cold temperatures or those below 16 degrees Celsius. However, if it is not that cold, you should use a warm blanket. If you decide to use heating pads, you should keep them in their cages.
If you opt for a microwavable heating pad, you should get one covered in fleece or wrap it around cloth. This will provide excellent warmth for hours. However, do keep a constant check on your guinea pigs.
An electric heating pad, especially those designed for pets like the Petnap one, is a safer and better option. The heating is also customizable and comfortable for your guinea pigs, especially if you have multiple ones. The only drawback of using these heating pads is their electric cord, as your furry pet may decide to chew on it, which can be pretty dangerous for them.
Keep Your Guinea Pigs Warm with Petnap’s Guinea Pig Heat Pads
The most popular heating pads are electric ones, which is why if you opt for one, you should consider getting it from Petnap. You are provided with a heating mat, which simultaneously keeps your pets warm and comfortable.